PA Civil War >
Biography > Bailey
William D. Bailey, M. D.
W. D. Bailey, M. D. is a representative physician of York County, and a descendant of celebrated pioneer ancestry. The grandfather of our subject. John Bailey, was of Scotch-Irish descent. His wife was Mary Nelson, of English descent. They were both born in Monaghan Township. where they resided until their deaths. He was a farmer, surveyor, and a worthy citizen.
The father of our subject, S. N. Bailey, attained prominent distinction. He was born in Monaghan Township in 1809, reared upon a farm and educated at the common schools. He was a close student and a great reader, which, with high natural ability and keen power of observation, enabled him to acquire a liberal education. Learning surveying in early years. he made it the principal business of his life. About 1835 he came to Carroll Township, locating in Dillsburg, where he resided the remainder of his days. He was engaged in farming for a short period, subsequently devoting his attention to surveying and school teaching. He served several years as county surveyor, and for a number of years was a justice of peace. In 1843 he was elected to represent his district in the State legislature, serving three years with ability and honor. Col. Bailey was also connected with one of the early militia companies from which he derived his title, and by which he was always called. In 1836 he was married to Miss Margaret Mumper, daughter of John and Jane (Beelman) Mumper, a native of Carroll Township, and also a descendant of a well known and old time family. Three children were born to them: John M., a leading practitioner of law at Huntington, Penn.; D. Bigler, a lawyer of ability (died in York in 1881), and the subject of this sketch.
Col. Bailey was a clerk under Adjt. Gen. Banks, and his successor at Harrisburg for eight years. He entered the service in 1862, and was elected lieutenant-colonel of the Twelfth Pennsylvania Reserves, and was in service nearly one year when he resigned. Col. Bailey died at Dillsburg in 1872, after a long and useful career. His widow resides at Dillsburg.
W. D. Bailey was born in Dillsburg January 3, 1837. He received a good education, attending the schools of his native town, and also received the advantage of the Tuscarora Academy. After teaching one term he began the study of medicine with Drs. G. L. & J. M. Shearer, of Dillsburg, now deceased. Under their instructions he remained three years, attending in the meantime the University of Pennsylvania, from which he graduated in 1862. He began his practice in York, continuing until the spring of 1863, when he entered the service and was appointed assistant surgeon of the Seventy-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, 78th Regiment, joining his regiment at Murfreesboro, Tenn. In 1864 he was promoted to surgeon of his regiment, with rank of major. He participated in the battles of Hoover's Gap. Tullahoma, Chickamauga, Buzzard Roost, Dalton, Resaca, New Hope Church, and in various minor engagements. His regiment was under the command of Gens. Thomas, Rosecrans and Sherman, and was a part of the Fourteenth Army Corps. In November, 1864, he was mustered out, his term of service having expired.
Upon his return he went to Oil City and resumed his practice, remaining there about one year. In 1866 he returned to Dillsburg, where he has since resided, and established a large and lucrative practice. Dr. Bailey has always identified himself with all measures of public improvement, is liberal and honorable in all of his relations of life, keeps well abreast with the advancements of the age. In his profession Dr. Bailey takes an honorable pride, and with its progress is well conversant. He is a member of the York County Medical Society. of the State Medical Society, and a member of the York Lodge, No. 266, A. F. & A. M. He has served in various offices in his township, and is one of the honored citizens of York County. Dr. Bailey was married, in 1879, to Miss Josephine F. Logan, daughter of Col. Henry Logan. of Carroll Township. This union has been blessed with two children: William B., deceased, and Martha L. The family have always been connected with the Presbyterian Church.
Source: York County, Pennsylvania Biographical History, John Gibson, Chicago: F.A. Battey Publishing Co., 1886.