PA Civil War >
Biography > Bumgardner
Absalom Herron Bumgardner
ABSALOM BUMGARDNER, blacksmith, was born September 5, 1821, in Butler county, Pennsylvania, and is a son of John Bumgardner of that county. At the age of sixteen he was apprenticed to the blacksmith trade, and served until his majority. In 1846 he located in Franklin, where he worked at his trade four years, and then opened a shop in Scrubgrass township. In 1856 he removed to Findley township, Mercer county, where he carried on business until 1859 and then returned to Scrubgrass township. In 1860 he engaged in making tools for oil operators.
In 1861 enlisted in Company H, Fourth Pennsylvania Cavalry , and served until the close of the war. He then located at Kennerdell, where he carried on business until 1877, and then removed to his present location.
He was married in 1846 to Elizabeth, daughter of Peter Karner of Franklin, Pennsylvania. They have four living children: Elizabeth, wife of Peter Walter; George, of Butler county; William, and John E.
Mr. Bumgardner is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and also of John Welton Post, G.A.R., of Kennerdell.
Source: History of Venango County, Pennsylvania: its past and present, including its aboriginal history, the French and British occupation of the country, its early settlement and subsequent growth, a description of its historic and interesting localities, its rich oil deposits and their development, sketches of its cities, boroughs, townships, and villages, neighborhood and family history, portraits and biographies of pioneers and representative citizens, statistics, etc.; Chicago, Ill.: Brown, Runk & Co., 1890.