PA Civil War >
Biography > Campbell
Ambrose E. Campbell
AMBROSE E. CAMPBELL - an enterprising and successful young business man of Shunk, Sullivan county, is the proprietor of a well-known mercantile establishment there, and is also connected with agricultural interests. Not withstanding these cares he finds time to take part in local affairs and has frequently been chosen by his fellow citizens to offices of trust and responsibility. He comes of the famous Scotch clan Campbell, the first of his branch of the family to come to America being his great-grandfather, who was accompanied by four brothers. John Campbell, his grandfather, was born in Montour county, Pennsylvania, and was married near Danville, same state, to Miss Mary Winterstein, daughter of Henry and Polly (Jingles) Winterstein, and in 1833, soon after his marriage, came to Bradford county. In 1851 he located at the present site of Campbellville, Sullivan county, of which he became the founder, and there he built a gristmill. Later he sold that property and purchased another gristmill in Fox township, and this he operated until his death, which occurred in 1881; his wife died in 1875. They had the following children: William, Caleb, Mary, Eliza, John S., James H., Hiram and Joseph.
James H. Campbell, the father of our subject, was born in Campbelltown, Montour county, April 9, 1831, and at an early age became his father's partner in the milling business. He also engaged in farming near Shunk, and in 1868 built the store now occupied by our subject. In 1884 he sold his interest in the mill, and as the years have rolled on he has left more and more of his cares to the able management of his son. Politically he is a staunch Republican and has filled various important offices, including those of county commissioner and township clerk, while for twenty-one years he was postmaster at Shunk. While on the board of county commissioners, from 1889 to 1891, he did effective work in arranging for the construction of many iron bridges to replace those destroyed by the flood of 1889.
During the Civil war Mr. Campbell made an honorable record. He enlisted in 1861, in Company K, under J. B. Ingham, of Monroe, and was assigned to the Fiftieth Pennsylvania regiment. He was a member of the first southern expedition, leaving Fortress Monroe for Hilton Head in October, 1861, and served in the battle at the latter place. Next he was on camp duty at Beaufort for six months and then in the battle of Pocotaligo. Then he was transferred again to Fortress Monroe and started on the campaign that ended in the second battle of Bull Run. Next we find him at Chantilly; and on to Fredericksburg in the spring of 1863. Then from Chancellorsville to Vicksburg, back to Tennessee, overland to Cumberland Gap, back to Knoxville, where he was one of the besieged for two months. Then after a short furlough he took part in the battle of the Wilderness, and next at Spottsylvania, where he was severely wounded. After his discharge from the hospital he returned again to the front and served until the end of the war.
In 1864 Mr. Campbell was married to Miss Elizabeth Hoagland, a daughter of Samuel and Sally (Wilcox) Hoagland. Our subject is the eldest of six children, the others being: Cora B., wife of James Brenchley, a farmer in Fox township; Sebra T., who died at the age of five years; Lucian, who died when two years old; Leon I., who married Miss Lulu Wright and assists our subject in the store; and George T., who also is employed in the store. The father is a member of J. B. Ingham Post, No. 91, of Canton, and a hearty supporter of all that ends to the benefit of his old comrades in arms. He has also been identified with the Order of Odd Fellows since October 5, 1872, and has passed through all the degrees. He is a member of Lodge No. 321, also a member of the Encampment, a higher branch of Odd Fellowship.
Ambrose E. Campbell, the immediate subject of this review, was born August 16, 1867, in Fox township, Sullivan county, and his education was begun in the local schools. Later he attended the graded schools of Canton for two years, and in 1889 he was graduated at the Elmira (New York) School of Commerce. During his youth he assisted his father in the work of the farm and store and for some time filled the position of bookkeeper. In 1890 he became a partner in the store and since June, 1897, has conducted the business alone. He also takes charge of one-half of his father's farm, comprising eighty acres, giving general oversight to its cultivation. Like his father, he is a strong supporter of Republican principles and for four years has been postmaster at Shunk. In the year 1896 he was mercantile appraiser for Sullivan county. He has served three terms as township clerk and for some time was school director, being secretary of the board during his term. Since 1888 he has been a member of the I. O. O. F. and is a charter member of Washington Camp, No. 220, P. O. S. of A., at Shunk. He has filled every position in which he has been placed with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of all concerned.
The marriage of Mr. Campbell to Miss Clara M. Ferguson, daughter of Charles and Ann (Moore) Ferguson, took place at Canton, October 23, 1889, and three children have blessed their union: Harry E., born December 22, 1890; Edgar, April 5, 1892; and Leslie, April 11, 1894.
Source: History of Sullivan County, Pennsylvania; Ingham, Thomas; Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1899.