PA Civil War > Regiments > 109th
109th Pennsylvania Regiment
Recruited in the city of Philadelphia, PA
109th PA Regiment Companies
109th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Philadelphia March to May, 1862.
- Moved to Washington, D.C., May 10; thence to Harper's Ferry May 24, 1862.
- Attached to 1st Brigade, Sigel's Division, Dept. of the Shenandoah, to June, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army of Virginia, to August, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 12th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to October, 1862.
- 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 12th Army Corps, to January, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 12th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to October, 1863, and Army of the Cumberland to April, 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 20th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to March, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Defence of Harper's Ferry, W. Va., May 24-30, 1862.
- Operations in the Shenandoah Valley till August. Battle of Cedar Mountain August 9.
- Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 16-September 2.
- Guarding trains during Battles of Bull Run. Maryland Campaign September 6-22.
- Battle of Antietam September 16-17 (Reserve).
- Duty at Bolivar Heights till December.
- Reconnoissance to Rippon, W. Va., November 9.
- Reconnoissance to Winchester December 2-6.
- March to Fredericksburg December 9-16.
Service & Battles - 1863
- Burnside's 2nd Campaign, "Mud March," January 20-24, 1863.
- At Stafford Court House till April 27.
- Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
- Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5.
- Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 11-July 24.
- Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3.
- Pursuit of Lee July 5-24.
- Duty near Raccoon Ford till September.
- Movement to Bridgeport, Ala., September 24-October 3.
- Reopening Tennessee River October 26-29.
- Battle of Wauhatchie, Tenn., October 28-29.
- Chattanooga-Ringgold Campaign November 23-27.
- Lookout Mountain November 23-24.
- Mission Ridge November 25.
- Ringgold Gap, Taylor's Ridge, Ga,, November 27.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Duty on Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad till April, 1864.
- Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1-September 8.
- Demonstration on Rocky Faced Ridge May 8-11.
- Battle of Resaca May 14-15.
- Near Cassville May 19.
- New Hope Church May 25.
- Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5.
- Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2.
- Pine Hill June 11-14.
- Lost Mountain June 15-17.
- Gilgal or Golgotha Church June 15.
- Muddy Creek June 17.
- Noyes Creek June 19.
- Kolb's Farm June 22.
- Assault on Kenesaw June 27.
- Ruff's Station or Smyrna Camp Ground July 4.
- Chattahoochie River July 5-17.
- Peach Tree Creek July 19-20.
- Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25.
- Operations at Chattahoochie River Bridge August 26-September 2.
- Occupation of Atlanta September 2-November 15.
- Expedition to Tuckum's Cross Roads October 26-29.
- Near Atlanta November 9.
- March to the sea November 15-December 10.
- Siege of Savannah December 10-21.
Service & Battles - 1865
- Campaign of the Carolinas January to March, 1865.
- Battle of Bentonville, N. C., March 19-21.
- Consolidated with 111th Pennsylvania Infantry March 31, 1865.
- Regiment lost during service 3 Officers and 61 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 71 Enlisted men by disease. Total 135.
109th PA Regiment Medal of Honor Recipients
- STOREY, JOHN H. R. Philadelphia, Sergeant, Company F, 109th Pennsylvania Infantry. Dallas, Ga., 28 May 1864. Citation given: 29 August 1896. While bringing in a wounded comrade, under a destructive fire, he was himself wounded in the right leg, which was amputated on the same day.
- VEALE, MOSES Born in Bridgeton, NJ. Captain, Company F, 109th Pennsylvania Infantry. Wauhatchie, Tenn., 28 October 1863. Citation: 17 January 1894. Gallantry in action manifesting throughout the engagement coolness, zeal, judgment, and courage. His horse was shot from under him and he was hit by 4 enemy bullets.