PA Civil War > Regiments > 119th
119th Regiment - The Gray Reserves
Recruited in the city of Philadelphia, PA
119th PA Regiment Companies
119th PA Regiment Books
- Rough and Regular: A History of Philadelphia's 119th Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry : The Gray Reserves
119th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Philadelphia August 15, 1862.
- Moved to Washington, D.C., August 31-September 1.
- Duty in the Defences of Washington till October.
- Joined Army of the Potomac in the field and attached to 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 6th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to February, 1863.
- 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 6th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, and Army of the Shenandoah to June, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Duty at Hagerstown, Md., till October 29, 1862.
- Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 29-November 19.
- Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15.
Service & Battles - 1863
- Burnside's 2nd Campaign, "Mud March," January 20-24, 1863.
- At White Oak Church till April.
- Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
- Operations at Franklin's Crossing April 29-May 2.
- Bernard House April 29. Maryes Heights, Fredericksburg, May 3.
- Salem Heights May 3-4. Banks' Ford May 4.
- Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 13-July 24.
- Battle of Gettysburg July 2-4.
- Pursuit of Lee July 5-24.
- At and near Funkstown, Md., July 10-13.
- Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
- Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8.
- Rappahannock Station November 7.
- Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Duty near Brandy Station till May, 1864.
- Rapidan Campaign May 4-June 12.
- Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7;
- Spottsylvania May 8-12.
- Assault on the Salient May 12.
- North Anna River May 23-26.
- On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28.
- Totopotomoy May 28-31.
- Cold Harbor June 1-12.
- Before Petersburg June 17-18.
- Weldon Railroad June 22-23.
- Siege of Petersburg till July 9.
- Moved to Washington, D. C, July 9-11.
- Repulse of Early's attack on Washington July 11-12.
- Pursuit of Early July 14-22.
- Sheridan's Shenandoah Valley Campaign August to December.
- Demonstration on Gilbert's Ford, Opequan, September 13.
- Battle of Opequan, Winchester, September 19.
- Duty in the Shenandoah Valley till December.
Service & Battles - 1865
- Moved to Petersburg, Va. Siege of Petersburg December, 1864, to April, 1865.
- Fort Fisher, Petersburg, March 25, 1865.
- Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9.
- Assault on and fall of Petersburg April 2.
- Appomattox Court House April 9.
- Surrender of Lee and his army.
- Moved to Danville April 23-27,
- And duty there till May 23.
- Moved to Richmond, thence to Washington May 23-June 3.
- Corps Review June 8.
- Mustered out June 19, 1865.
- Regiment lost during service 9 Officers and 132 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 71 Enlisted men by disease. Total 213.