PA Civil War > Regiments > 142nd
142nd Pennsylvania Regiment
Recruited in Mercer County, Westmoreland County, Somerset County, Union County, Monroe County, Fayette County, Venango County, Luzerne County, PA
142nd PA Regiment Soldier Biographies
142nd PA Regiment Books
- Extracts from letters
written by Alfred B. McCalmont, late Lt.-Col. 142nd Regiment, Colonel 208th Regiment and Brev. Brig.-General Pennsylvania Volunteers from the front during the War of the Rebellion. Online at the Digital Library Collections at Penn State
142nd PA Regiment Companies
142nd PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Harrisburg September 1, 1862.
- Left State for Washington, D.C., September 2, and duty there till September 19.
- Moved to Frederick, Md., September 19.
- Attached to 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to February, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Corps, to March, 1864
- 3rd Brigade, 4th Division, 5th Army Corps, to June, 1864
- 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 5th Army Corps, to September, 1864
- 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, to May, 1865
Service & Battles - 1862
- Duty at Frederick, Md., till October 30, 1862.
- Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19.
- Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15.
Service & Battles - 1863
- Burnside's 2nd Campaign, "Mud March," January 20-24, 1863.
- Duty at Belle Plains till April.
- Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
- Operations at Pollock's Mill Creek April 29-May 2.
- Battle of Chancellorsville May 2-5.
- Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 11-July 24.
- Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3.
- Pursuit of Lee July 5-24.
- Duty on line of the Rappahannock till October.
- Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
- Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8.
- Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Demonstration on the Rapidan February 6-7, 1864.
- Duty near Culpeper till May.
- Rapidan Campaign May 4-June 12.
- Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7;
- Laurel Hill May 8;
- Spottsylvania May 8-12;
- Spottsylvania Court House May 12-21.
- Assault on the Salient May 12.
- North Anna River May 23-26.
- Jericho Ford May 25.
- On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28.
- Totopotomoy May 28-31.
- Cold Harbor June 1-12.
- Bethesda Church June 1-3.
- Before Petersburg June 16-18.
- Siege of Petersburg June 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865.
- Mine Explosion, Petersburg, July 30, 1864.
- Weldon Railroad August 18-21.
- Poplar Springs Church, Peeble's Farm, September 29-October 2.
- Boydton Plank Road, Hatcher's Run, October 27-28.
- Warren's Expedition to Weldon Railroad December 7-12.
Service & Battles - 1865
- Dabney's Mills, Hatcher's Run, February 5-7, 1865.
- Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9.
- Lewis Farm, near Gravelly Run, March 29.
- White Oak Road March 31.
- Five Forks April 1.
- Appomattox Court House April 9.
- Surrender of Lee and his army.
- Escort captured stores to Burkesville Station.
- March to Washington, D.C., May 1-12.
- Grand Review May 23.
- Mustered out May 29, 1865.
- Regiment lost during service 7 Officers and 148 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 72 Enlisted men by disease. Total 227.
142nd PA Regiment Burials
- Brougher, S. H.; Sergeant, died Apr 4, 1865, buried Mt. Moriah Cemetery, Philadelphia, PA