PA Civil War > > Regiments > 185th
185th Pennsylvania Regiment - 22nd Cavalry
Recruited in Washington County, PA. Consolidation of a Battalion of six months Cavalry and the Ringgold Battalion of five Companies, Washington County Cavalry Company and LaFayette Cavalry Company
185th PA Regiment Companies
185th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Chambersburg February, 1864, by consolidation of a Battalion of six months Cavalry and the Ringgold Battalion of five Companies, Washington County Cavalry Company and LaFayette Cavalry Company, assigned February 22, 1864.
- Moved to Martinsburg, W. Va., March 1, 1864, thence to Cumberland, Md.
- Attached to Reserve Division, Dept. of West Virginia, to April, 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, West Virginia, to August, 1864.
- (Dismounted men attached to Reserve Division, Pleasant Valley, Md., Dept. West Virginia, to June, 1864. Kelly's Command, West Virginia, to August, 1864.)
- 3rd Brigade, Cavalry Corps, Army Shenandoah, August, 1864 (dismounted men).
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, West Virginia, to December, 1864.
- Reserve Division, Dept. West Virginia, to April, 1865. 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, West Virginia, to June, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Sigel's Expedition from Martinsburg to New Market April 30-May 16, 1864.
- Lost River Gap May 10. Lynchburg May 12.
- New Market May 15.
- Hunter's Expedition to Lynchburg May 26-July 1.
- Piedmont, Mt. Crawford, June 5.
- Occupation of Staunton June 6.
- Lynchburg May 17-18.
- Newtown June 19.
- Salem June 20.
- Catawba Mountains June 21.
- (Dismounted men moved to Pleasant Valley April, 1864,
- And duty there till May 15.
- At Camp Stoneman till June.
- Moved to Martinsburg June 16, Leetown and Darkesville July 3.
- Operations about Harper's Ferry July 4-7.
- Hagerstown, Md., July 6.
- Maryland Heights July 6-7.
- Antietam Bridge July 7.
- Ordered to Pleasant Valley July 22.
- Joined Torbert August 8.)
- Moved to Shenandoah Valley July 5-15.
- Snicker's Ferry July 17-18.
- Ashby's Gap and Berry's Ford July 19.
- Near Kernstown July 23.
- Kernstown, Winchester, July 24.
- Bunker Hill and Martinsburg July 25.
- Near Moorefield August 7.
- Regiment reunite at Hagerstown August.
- Sheridan's Shenandoah Valley Campaign August to November.
- Near Opequan Creek August 19.
- Opequan Creek August 20.
- Near Berryville August 21.
- Summit Point August 21.
- Charlestown August 21-22.
- Williamsport August 26.
- Martinsburg August 31.
- Darkesville September 2.
- Bunker Hill September 2-3.
- Darkesville September 10.
- Bunker Hill September 13.
- Near Berryville September 14.
- Near Martinsburg September 18.
- Battle of Opequan, Winchester, September 19.
- Fisher's Hill September 22.
- Mt. Jackson September 23-24.
- Forest Hill or Timberville September 24.
- Brown's Gap September 26.
- Weyer's Cave September 26-27.
- Port Republic September 28.
- Battle of Cedar Creek October 19.
- Dry Run October 23.
- Moved to Martinsburg,
- And duty there till December 20.
Service & Battles - 1865
- At New Creek and duty in Hardy, Hampshire and Pendleton Counties till June, 1865.
- Scout to Greenland Gap and Franklin January 11-15, 1865.
- Scout to Moorefield March 14-17, 1865.
- Consolidated with 18th Pennsylvania Cavalry June 24, 1865, to form 3rd Provisional Cavalry.
- Regiment lost during service 33 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 96 Enlisted men by disease. Total 130.