PA Civil War > Regiments > 31st
31st Pennsylvania Regiment - 2nd Pennsylvania Reserve Corps
Three Years' Service - Recruited in the city of Philadelphia, Blair county, Huntingdon County, PA
31st PA Regiment Books
- Our Campaigns;
The Second Regiment Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteers Or, the Marches, Bivouacs, Battles, Incidents of Camp Life and History of Our Regi: ... Life, and History of Our Regiment
31st PA Regiment Companies
31st PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Philadelphia. Moved to Easton, Pa., May 29, 1861; thence to Harrisburg, Pa., July 24.
- Moved to Baltimore, thence to Sandy Hook, near Harper's Ferry, Va.
- Ordered to Darnestown, Md., August 28; thence to Tennallytown, Md., September 25 and joined McCall.
- Attached to 1st Brigade, McCall's Pennsylvania Reserves Division, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to April, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, McCall's Division, Dept. of the Rappahannock, to June, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to August, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 3rd Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to February, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, Pennsylvania Reserves Division, 22nd Corps, Dept. of Washington, to June, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to June, 1864.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Moved to Langley, Va., October 10, 1861,
- And duty at Camp Pierpont till March, 1862.
- Reconnoissance toward Dranesville October 18-21, 1861.
- Expedition to Grinnell's Farm December 6.
- Advance on Manassas, Va., March 10-15.
- McDowell's advance on Falmouth April 9-19.
- Duty at Fredericksburg till June.
- Moved to White House June 9-11.
- Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1.
- Battles of Mechanicsville June 26.
- Gaines Mill June 27.
- Savage Station June 29.
- Charles City Cross Roads and Glendale June 30.
- Malvern Hill July 1.
- At Harrison's Landing till August 16.
- Movement to join Pope August 16-26.
- Batties of Groveton August 29; Bull Run August 30.
- Maryland Campaign September 6-24.
- Battles of South Mountain September 14,
- And Antietam, Md., September 16-17.
- Duty in Maryland till October 30.
- Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19.
- Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15.
Service & Battles - 1863
- "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863.
- Ordered to Washington, D.C.,
- And duty in the Defences there till June 25.
- Rejoined Army of the Potomac.
- Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1-3.
- Pursuit of Lee July 5-24. Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
- Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8.
- Rappahannock Station November 7.
- Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Rapidan Campaign May, 1864.
- Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7;
- Laurel Hill May 8;
- Spottsylvania May 8-12;
- Spottsylvania Court House May 12-21.
- Assault on the Salient May 12.
- Harris Farm May 19.
- North Anna River May 23-26.
- Jericho Ford May 25.
- On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28.
- Totopotomoy May 28-31.
- Left front June 1.
- Mustered out June 16, 1864.
- Regiment lost during service 4 Officers and 73 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 3 Officers and 71 Enlisted men by disease. Total 151.