PA Civil War > PA Civil War > Regiments > 36th
36th Pennsylvania Regiment - 7th Pennsylvania Reserve Corps
Three Years' Service - Recruited in Cumberland County, Perry County, Lebanon County, Clinton County, the city of Philadelphia, Luzerne County, Berks county, PA
36th PA Regiment Biographies
36th PA Regiment Companies
36th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, July, 1861.
- Ordered to Washington, D.C., July 21,
- And mustered into United States service July 27, 1861.
- Attached to 2nd Brigade, McCall's Pennsylvania Reserves Division, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to April, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, McCall's Division, Dept. of the Rappahannock, to June, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to August, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 3rd Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to February, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, Pennsylvania Reserves Division, 22nd Army Corps, Dept. of Washington, to April, 1864.
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to June, 1864.
Service & Battles - 1861
- Duty at Tennallytown, Md., August 2 to October 10, 1861,
- And at Camp Pierpont, near Langley, till March, 1862.
- Skirmish at Great Falls September 4, 1861.
- Expedition to Grinnell's Farm December 6.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Advance on Manassas, Va., March 10-15.
- At Fairfax Station till April 9.
- At Manassas Junction till April 17.
- At Catlett's Station till May 11,
- And at Falmouth till June 9.
- Moved to the Virginia Peninsula June 9-11.
- Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1.
- Battles of Mechanicsville June 26; Gaines Mill June 27;
- Charles City Cross Roads and Glendale Juno 30;
- Malvern Hill July 1.
- At Harrison's Landing till August 16.
- Movement to join Pope August 16-26.
- Battles of Groveton August 29;
- Bull Run August 30.
- Maryland Campaign September 6-24.
- Battles of South Mountain, Md., September 14;
- Antietam September 16-17.
- Duty in Maryland till October 30.
- Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19.
- Battle of Fredericksburg December 12-15.
Service & Battles - 1863
- "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863.
- Ordered to Washington, D.C., February 6, 1863,
- And duty there and at Alexandria till April, 1864.
- Rapidan Campaign May.
- Battle of the Wilderness May 5-7.
- Regiment captured except Company "B." Spottsylvania May 8-12.
- Laurel Hill May 8.
- Spottsylvania Court House May 12-21.
- Assault on the Salient May 12.
- Harris Farm May 19.
- North Anna River May 23- 26.
- Jericho Ford May 25.
- Line of the Pamunkey May 26-28.
- Totopotomoy May 28-31.
- Left front May 31.
- Mustered out June 16, 1864.
- Regiment lost during service 3 Officers and 80 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 135 Enlisted men by disease. Total 218
36th PA Regiment Medal of Honor Recipient
- CART, JACOB: Carlisle, Private, Company A, 7th Pennsylvania Reserve Corps. Fredericksburg, Va., 13 December, 1862. Citation given: 25 November 1864 for capture of flag of 19th Georgia Infantry (C.S.A.), wresting it from the hands of the color bearer.