PA Civil War > Regiments > 37th Regiment
37th Pennsylvania Regiment - 8th Reserves
Recruited in Butler county, Armstrong County, Allegheny County, Fayette County, Bedford County, Clarion County, Greene County, Washington County, PA
37th PA Regiment Companies
37th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Pittsburg July, 1861.
- Ordered to Washington, D.C., July 30.
- Attached to 1st Brigade, McCall's Pennsylvania Reserves Division,
- Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to April, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, McCall's Division, Dept. of the Rappahannock, to June, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, Dept. of the Rappahannock, to June, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to August, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 3rd Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to February, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, Pennsylvania Reserves Corps, 22nd Corps, Dept. of Washington, to April, 1863.
- District of Alexandria, 22nd Corps, to April, 1864.
- 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to May, 1864.
Service & Battles - 1861
- Duty at Tennallytown, Md., August 2 to October 10, 1861,
- And at Camp Pierpont, near Langley, Va., till March, 1862.
- Skirmish at Great Falls September 4, 1861.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Advance on Manassas, Va., March 10-15, 1862.
- McDowell's advance on Falmouth April 9-19.
- Duty at Fredericksburg till June.
- Moved to White House June 9-11.
- Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1.
- Battles of Mechanicsville June 26;
- Gaines Mill June 27;
- Charles City Cross Roads
- And Glendale June 30; Malvern Hill July 1.
- At Harrison's Landing till August 16.
- Movement to join Pope August 16-26.
- Battles of Gainesville August 28;
- Groveton August 29; Bull Run August 30.
- Maryland Campaign September 6-24.
- Battles of South Mountain, Md., September 14;
- Antietam September 16-17.
- Duty in Maryland till October 30.
- Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19.
- Battles of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15.
Service & Battles - 1863
- "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863.
Service & Battles - 1863
- Ordered to Washington, D.C., February 6, and duty there and at Alexandria till April, 1864.
- Rapidan Campaign.
- Battles of the Wilderness, Va., May 5-7;
- Laurel Hill May 8;
- Spottsylvania May 8-17.
- Assault on the Salient May 12.
- Left the front May 17.
- Mustered out May 24 1864.
- Regiment lost during service 5 Officers and 153 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 68 Enlisted men by disease. Total 226.