PA Civil War > Regiments > 40th
40th Pennsylvania Regiment - 11th Pennsylvania Reserves
Recruited in Cambria County, Indiana County, Butler County, Butler County, Indiana County, Fayette County, Armstrong County, Westmoreland County, Westmoreland County, Jefferson County, PA.
40th PA Regiment Books
40th PA Regiment Companies
40th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Camp Wright, near Pittsburg, June, 1861,
- Moved to Harrisburg, Pa., June 24; thence to Baltimore, Md.,
- June 25, and to Washington, D.C., June 26.
- Mustered into United States service June 29, 1861.
- Attached to 2nd Brigade, McCall's Pennsylvania Reserves Division,
- Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to April, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, McCall's Division, Dept. of the Rappahannock, to June, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, to August, 1862.
- 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 3rd Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862.
- 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Corps, Army of the Potomac, to February, 1863.
- 3rd Brigade, Pennsylvania Reserves Division, 22nd Corps;
- Dept. of Washington, to June, 1863.
- 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to November, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Corps, to June, 1864.
Service & Battles - 1861
- Duty at Tennallytown, Md., and picket at Great Falls August 2 to October 10, 1861.
- At Camp Pierpont, near Langley, Va., till March, 1862.
- Expedition to Grinnell's Farm December 6, 1861.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Advance on Manassas, Va., March 10-15, 1862.
- McDowell's advance on Falmouth April 9-19.
- Duty at Manassas Junction, Catlett's Station,
- And Falmouth, till June.
- Moved to White House June 9-12.
- Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1.
- Battles of Mechanicsville June 26;
- Gaines' Mill June 27
- (most of Regiment captured, exchanged August 5, 1862);
- Charles City Cross Roads, Glendale, June 30;
- Malvern Hill July 1.
- At Harrison's Landing till August 16.
- Movement to join Pope August 16-26.
- Battles of Groveton August 29;
- Bull Run August 30.
- Maryland Campaign September 6-24.
- Battles of South Mountain, Md., September 14;
- Antietam September 16-17.
- Duty in Maryland till October 30. Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19.
- Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15.
Service & Battles - 1863
- "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863.
- Moved to Washington, D. C., February 6.
- Duty there and at Alexandria till June 25.
- Ordered to rejoin Army of the Potomac in the field.
- Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1-3.
- Pursuit of Lee July 5-24.
- Duty on the Rapidan till October.
- Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
- Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8.
- Rappahannock Station November 7.
- Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Duty at Alexandria till April, 1864.
- Rapidan Campaign May 4-30.
- Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7;
- Laurel Hill May 8;
- Spottsylvania May 8-12;
- Spottsylvania Court House May 12-21.
- Assault on the Salient May 12.
- Harris Farm May 19.
- North Anna River May 23-26.
- Jericho Ford May 25.
- On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28.
- Totopotomoy May 28-30.
- Left front May 30.
- Mustered out June 13, 1864.
- Regiment lost during service 11 Officers and 185 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 112 Enlisted men by disease. Total 309.
40th PA Regiment Medal of Honor Recipients
- HOWARD, HENDERSON C.: Corporal, Company B, 11th Pennsylvania Reserves. Glendale, Va., 30 June 1862. Citation given: 30 March 1898. While pursuing one of the enemy's sharpshooters, encountered 2 others, whom he bayoneted in hand-to-hand encounters; was 3 times wounded in action.
- SHAMBAUGH, CHARLES: Born in Prussia. Corporal, Company D, 11th Pennsylvania Reserves. Charles City Crossroads, Va., 30 June 1862. Citation given: 17 July 1866. Capture of flag.