PA Civil War > Regiments > 43rd
43rd Pennsylvania Regiment - First Light Artillery - 15th Pennsylvania Reserve Corps
Three Years' Service - Recruited in the city of Philadelphia, Franklin county, Blair county, Potter county, York county, Lawrence county, Luzerne county, PA
43rd PA Regiment Soldier Biographies
43rd PA Regiment Companies
- Bates' Regimental History & Company Rosters
43rd PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Philadelphia August 5, 1861, and ordered to Washington, D.C.
- Attached to Banks' Division, Army of the Potomac, October, 1861, to March, 1862.
- 1st Division, Banks' 5th Army Corps and 1st Division, Dept. of the Shenandoah, to May, 1862.
- Artillery, 2nd Division, Dept. of the Rappahannock, to June, 1862.
- Artillery, 2nd Division, 3rd Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862.
- Artillery, 2nd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to January, 1863.
- Artillery, 3rd Division, 1st Army Corps, to May, 1863.
- 3rd Volunteer Brigade, Artillery Reserve, Army of the Potomac, to July, 1863.
- Artillery Brigade, 2nd Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to September, 1864.
- Artillery Reserve, Army of the Potomac, to June, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1861
- Duty in the Defenses of Washington until October, 1861, and on the Upper Potomac, between Edward's Ferry and Hancock, Md., until February, 1862.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Advance on Winchester March 1-12.
- Reconnaissance toward Strasburg and action near Winchester March 7.
- Ordered to join Abercrombie's Brigade March 21, and moved to Warrenton Junction.
- Pursuit of Jackson up the Valley March 24-April 27.
- Rappahannock Crossing April 18.
- Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 1-September 2.
- Battle of Cedar Mountain August 9.
- Fords of the Rappahannock August 21-23.
- Thoroughfare Gap August 28.
- Battles of Groveton August 29.
- Bull Run August 30.
- Chantilly September 1.
- Maryland Campaign September 6-24.
- Battle of Antietam, Md., September 16-17.
- Duty at Sharpsburg, Md. until October 30.
- Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19.
- Battle of Fredericksburg December 12-15.
Service & Battles - 1863
- "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863.
- At Falmouth and Belle Plain until April.
- Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
- Operations at Pollock's Mill Creek April 29-May 2.
- Fitzhugh's Crossing April 29-30.
- Chancellorsville May 2-5.
- Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 11-July 24.
- Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 2-4.
- Advance to line of the Rapidan September 13-17.
- Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
- Auburn and Bristoe October 14.
- Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8.
- Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Demonstration on the Rapidan February 6-7, 1864.
- Morton's Ford February 6-7.
- Camp near Stevensburg, Va., until May.
- Rapidan Campaign May 4-June 12.
- Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7;
- Spottsylvania May 8-12;
- Spottsylvania Court House May 12-21.
- Assault on the Salient May 12.
- North Anna River May 23-26.
- Line of the Pamunkey May 26-28.
- Totopotomoy May 28-31.
- Cold Harbor June 1-12.
- Before Petersburg June 16-18.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Siege of Petersburg June 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865.
- Jerusalem Plank Road June 21-22, 1864.
- Demonstration north of the James River at Deep Bottom July 27-29.
- Deep Bottom July 27-29.
- Demonstration north of the James at Deep Bottom August 13-20.
- Strawberry Plains August 14-18.
Service & Battles - 1865
- Fall of Petersburg April 2, 1865.
- Moved to Washington, D.C., May.
- Grand Review May 23.
- Mustered out July 9, 1865.
- Regiment lost 1 Officer and 17 Enlisted men killed and 13 Enlisted men by disease. Total 31.
43rd PA Regiment Executions
- Clark, Charles March 2, 1863 Hanged for Murder
- Dormady, William March 2, 1863 Hanged for Murder