PA Civil War > Regiments > 43rd
43rd Pennsylvania Regiment - First Light Artillery - 15th Pennsylvania Reserve Corps
Three Years' Service - Recruited in the city of Philadelphia, Franklin county, Blair county, Potter county, York county, Lawrence county, Luzerne county, PA
43rd PA Regiment Soldier Biographies
43rd PA Regiment Companies
43rd PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Philadelphia August 5, 1861, and ordered to Washington, D.C.
- Attached to Banks' Division, Army of the Potomac, October, 1861, to March, 1862.
- 1st Division, Banks' 5th Army Corps and 1st Division, Dept. of the Shenandoah, to May, 1862.
- Artillery, 2nd Division, Dept. of the Rappahannock, to June, 1862.
- Artillery, 2nd Division, 3rd Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862.
- Artillery, 2nd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to January, 1863.
- Artillery, 3rd Division, 1st Army Corps, to May, 1863.
- 3rd Volunteer Brigade, Artillery Reserve, Army of the Potomac, to July, 1863.
- Artillery Brigade, 2nd Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to September, 1864.
- Artillery Reserve, Army of the Potomac, to June, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1861
- Duty in the Defenses of Washington until October, 1861, and on the Upper Potomac, between Edward's Ferry and Hancock, Md., until February, 1862.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Advance on Winchester March 1-12.
- Reconnaissance toward Strasburg and action near Winchester March 7.
- Ordered to join Abercrombie's Brigade March 21, and moved to Warrenton Junction.
- Pursuit of Jackson up the Valley March 24-April 27.
- Rappahannock Crossing April 18.
- Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 1-September 2.
- Battle of Cedar Mountain August 9.
- Fords of the Rappahannock August 21-23.
- Thoroughfare Gap August 28.
- Battles of Groveton August 29.
- Bull Run August 30.
- Chantilly September 1.
- Maryland Campaign September 6-24.
- Battle of Antietam, Md., September 16-17.
- Duty at Sharpsburg, Md. until October 30.
- Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19.
- Battle of Fredericksburg December 12-15.
Service & Battles - 1863
- "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863.
- At Falmouth and Belle Plain until April.
- Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
- Operations at Pollock's Mill Creek April 29-May 2.
- Fitzhugh's Crossing April 29-30.
- Chancellorsville May 2-5.
- Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 11-July 24.
- Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 2-4.
- Advance to line of the Rapidan September 13-17.
- Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
- Auburn and Bristoe October 14.
- Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8.
- Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Demonstration on the Rapidan February 6-7, 1864.
- Morton's Ford February 6-7.
- Camp near Stevensburg, Va., until May.
- Rapidan Campaign May 4-June 12.
- Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7;
- Spottsylvania May 8-12;
- Spottsylvania Court House May 12-21.
- Assault on the Salient May 12.
- North Anna River May 23-26.
- Line of the Pamunkey May 26-28.
- Totopotomoy May 28-31.
- Cold Harbor June 1-12.
- Before Petersburg June 16-18.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Siege of Petersburg June 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865.
- Jerusalem Plank Road June 21-22, 1864.
- Demonstration north of the James River at Deep Bottom July 27-29.
- Deep Bottom July 27-29.
- Demonstration north of the James at Deep Bottom August 13-20.
- Strawberry Plains August 14-18.
Service & Battles - 1865
- Fall of Petersburg April 2, 1865.
- Moved to Washington, D.C., May.
- Grand Review May 23.
- Mustered out July 9, 1865.
- Regiment lost 1 Officer and 17 Enlisted men killed and 13 Enlisted men by disease. Total 31.
43rd PA Regiment Executions
- Clark, Charles March 2, 1863 Hanged for Murder
- Dormady, William March 2, 1863 Hanged for Murder