PA Civil War > Regiments > 56th
56th Pennsylvania Regiment
Recruited in the city of Philadelphia, Wayne County, Indiana County, Luzerne County, Centre County, Centre county, Schuylkill county, Susquehanna County, PA.
55th PA Regiment Newspaper Transcription
- Miner' Journal - 1865
A record of the names of the sons of Schuylkill who died that their country might live....
56th PA Regiment Companies
56th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, March 7, 1862.
- Left State for Washington, D.C., March 8.
- Attached to Defences of Washington to May, 1862.
- Doubleday's Brigade, Dept. of the Rappahannock, to June, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 3rd Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1864.
- 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 5th Array Corps, Army Potomac, to September, 1864.
- 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, to July, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Duty at Fort Albany, Defences of Washington, till April 4, 1862,
- And at Budd's Ferry till April 24.
- At Aquia Creek Landing till May 10.
- Guard railroad bridge at Potomac Creek May 21-27.
- (Five Companies moved to Belle Plains May 10.)
- Guard duty near Fredericksburg till August 9.
- Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 16-September 2.
- Battles of Gainesville August 28;
- Groveton August 29; Bull Run August 30.
- Maryland Campaign September 6-24.
- Battles of South Mountain September 14;
- Antietam September 16-17.
- Duty on the battlefield of Antietam till October 20.
- (Co. "A" at Fairfax October 20-30.)
- At Bakersville October 20-30. Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19.
- Union, Va., November 2-3.
- Battle of Fredericksburg December 12-15.
Service & Battles - 1863
- Burnside's 2nd Campaign, "Mud March," January 20-24, 1863.
- At Falmouth and Belle Plains till April 27, 1863.
- Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
- Operations at Pollock's Mill Creek April 29-May 2.
- Fitzhugh's Crossing April 29-30.
- Chancellorsville May 2-5.
- Brandy Station and Beverly Ford June 9. Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 11-July 24.
- Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1-3.
- Pursuit of Lee July 5-24.
- Duty on line of the Rappahannock till October.
- Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
- Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8.
- Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Demonstration on the Rapidan February 6-7, 1864.
- On Veteran furlough March 10-April 17.
- Rapidan Campaign May 4-June 12.
- Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7;
- Laurel Hill May 8;
- Spottsylvania May 8-12;
- Spottsylvania Court House May 12-21.
- Assault on the Salient May 12.
- North Anna River May 23-26.
- Jericho Ford May 25.
- Totopotomoy May 28-31.
- Cold Harbor June 1-12.
- Bethesda Church June 1-3.
- Before Petersburg June 16-18.
Service & Battles - 1865
- Siege of Petersburg June 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865.
- Mine Explosion, Petersburg, July 30, 1864 (Reserve).
- Weldon Railroad August 18-21.
- Poplar Springs Church September 29-October 2.
- Boydton Plank Road, Hatcher's Run, October 27-28.
- Warren's Raid on Weldon Railroad December 7-12.
- Dabney's Mills, Hatcher's Run, February 5-7, 1865.
- Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9.
- Lewis Farm near Gravelly Run March 29.
- Boydton and White Oak Road March 31.
- Five Forks April 1.
- Fall of Petersburg April 2. Appomattox Court House April 9.
- Surrender of Lee and his army.
- March to Washington, D.C., May 2-12.
- Grand Review May 23.
- Mustered out at Philadelphia, Pa., July 1, 1865.
- Regiment lost during service 7 Officers and 111 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 96 Enlisted men by disease. Total 215.
56th PA Regiment Medal of Honor Recipients
- JENNINGS, JAMES T. Private, Company K, 56th Pennsylvania Infantry. Entered service at: Bucks County, Pa. Birth: England. Citation: Capture of flag of 55th North Carolina Infantry (C.S.A.) at Weldon Railroad, Va., 20 August 1864. Date of issue: 1 December 1864.