PA Civil War Volunteer Soldiers
68th Pennsylvania RegimentRecruited in the city of Philadelphia, Montgomery County, and Chester County, PA.
68th PA Regiment Companies
68th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Philadelphia August, 1862,
- Left State for Washington, D.C., September 1, 1862.
- Camp at Arlington Heights till October.
- Moved to Poolesville, Md., and attached to 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 3rd Army Corps, Army Potomac, to March, 1864.
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army Potomac, to April, 1864.
- Provost Guard, Army Potomac, to April, 1865.
- Collis' Independent Brigade, 9th Army Corps, April, 1865.
- Hart's Island, N.Y., Harbor, Dept. of the East, to June, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1862
- March up the Potomac to Leesburg, thence to Falmouth, Va., October 11-November 19, 1862.
- Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15.
Service & Battles - 1863
- Burnside's 2nd Campaign, "Mud March," January 20-24, 1863.
- At Falmouth till April.
- Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
- Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5.
- Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 13-July 24.
- Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3.
- Pursuit of Lee July 5-24.
- Wapping Heights, Va., July 23.
- Duty on line of the Rappahannock till October.
- Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
- Auburn October 13.
- Auburn and Bristoe October 14.
- Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8.
- Kelly's Ford November 7.
- Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2.
- Payne's Farm November 27.
Service & Battles - 1864
- At Brandy Station till April, 1864.
- Demonstration on the Rapidan February 6-7.
- Rapidan Campaign May 4-June 12.
- Assigned to provost duty at Meade's Headquarters April 18.
- Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7;
- Spottsylvania C. H. May 8-21;
- Guinea Station May 21; North Anna River May 23-26.
- On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28.
- Totopotomoy May 28-31.
- Cold Harbor June 1-12.
- Before Petersburg June 16-18.
Service & Battles - 1865
- Siege operations against Petersburg and Richmond June 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865.
- Garrison and provost duty at City Point, Va., June 18, 1864, to April 1, 1865.
- Assault on and fall of Petersburg April 2.
- Occupation of Petersburg April 3.
- Moved from before Petersburg to Hart's Island, N. Y. Harbor, April, 1865, and duty there guarding prisoners till June.
- Mustered out June 9, 1865
- Regiment lost 10 Officers and 61 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 51 Enlisted men by disease.
| Ancestry.com Civil War Databases
| Civil War Research
Civil War Research
Want to find out if your ancestor was a Civil War soldier? Follow these research ideas.
Search PA Civil War