PA Civil War > Regiments > 73rd
73rd Pennsylvania Regiment - Pennsylvania Legion
Recruited in the city of Philadelphia, PA
73rd PA Regiment Soldier Biographies
73rd PA Regiment Companies
73rd PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Philadelphia September 19, 1861.
- Left State for Washington, D.C., September 24.
- Attached to Steinwehr's Brigade, Blenker's Division, Army Potomac, to March, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, Blenker's Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army Potomac, to April, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, Blenker's Division, Dept. of the Mountains, to June, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 11th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to October, 1863, and Army of the Cumberland to April, 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 20th Army Corps, to July, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Duty in the Defences of Washington, D.C., till March, 1862.
- Advance on Manassas, Va., March 10-15. Near Catlett's Station, Va., till April 6.
- Moved to Petersburg, W. Va., April 6-May 11.
- Operations in the Shenandoah Valley till June. Battle of Cross Keys June 8.
- Duty in the Shenandoah Valley and at Sperryville till August.
- Occupation of Luray July 22.
- Battle of Cedar Mountain August 9 (Reserve).
- Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 16-September 2.
- Fords of the Rappahannock August 21-23.
- Sulphur Springs August 24.
- Gainesville August 28.
- Groveton August 30.
- Bull Run August 30.
- Duty in the Defences of Washington, D.C., till November.
- Movement to Centreville November 1-19,
- Thence to Fredericksburg December 9-16.
Service & Battles - 1863
- "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863.
- At Stafford Court House till April 27.
- Operations at Welford's, Kelly's and Beverly Fords April 14-15.
- Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
- Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5.
- Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 11-July 24.
- Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3.
- Pursuit of Lee July 5-24.
- Guard duty along Orange & Alexandria Railroad till September.
- Movement to Bridgeport, Ala., September 24-October 3.
- Operations in Lookout Valley October 19-26.
- Reopening Tennessee River October 26-29.
- Battle of Wauhatchie, Tenn., October 28-29.
- Chattanooga-Ringgold Campaign November 23-27.
- Battles of Orchard Knob November 23;
- Tunnel Hill November 24-25.
- Mostly captured November 25 at Tunnel Hill.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Duty in Lookout Valley till May, 1864.
- Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1-September 8.
- Demonstration on Rocky Faced Ridge May 8-11.
- Dug Gap or Mill Creek May 8.
- Battle of Resaca May 14-15.
- Near Cassville May 19.
- New Hope Church May 25.
- Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 26-June 5.
- Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2.
- Pine Hill june 11-14.
- Lost Mountain June 15-17.
- Gilgal or Golgotha Church June 15.
- Muddy Creek June 17.
- Noyes Creek June 19. Kolb's Farm June 22.
- Assault on Kenesaw June 27.
- Ruff's Station or smyrna Camp Ground July 4.
- Chattahoochie River July 5-17.
- Peach Tree Creek July 19-20.
- Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25.
- Operations at Chattahoochie River Bridge August 26-September 2.
- Occupation of Atlanta September 2-November 15.
- Expedition to Tuckum's Cross Roads October 26-29.
- Near Atlanta November 9.
- March to the sea November 15-December 10.
- Siege of Savannah December 10-21.
Service & Battles - 1865
- Campaign of the Carolinas January to April, 1865.
- Averysboro, N. C., March 16.
- Battle of Bentonville March 19-21.
- Occupation of Goldsboro March 24.
- Advance on Raleigh April 9-13.
- Occupation of Raleigh April 14.
- Bennett's House April 26.
- Surrender of Johnston and his army.
- March to Washington, D.C., via Richmond, Va., April 29-May 20.
- Grand Review May 24. Duty in the Defences of Washington till July.
- Mustered out July 14, 1865.
- Regiment lost during service 5 Officers and 98 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 113 Enlisted men by disease. Total 216.