PA Civil War > Regiments > 74th
74th Pennsylvania Regiment
Recruited in Columbia county, Wyoming County, Allegheny county, Northumberland County, Snyder county, Union County, Indiana county, Westmoreland County, Adams county, Berks County, the city of Philadelphia, PA
74th PA Regiment Soldier Biographies
74th PA Regiment Companies
- Company E
Northumberland, Union and Berks Counties
- Company G
Adams and Berks Counties
- Bates' Regimental History & Company Rosters
74th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Pittsburg as 35th Pennsylvania Volunteers September 14, 1861.
- Moved to Philadelphia, thence to Washington, D.C., September 23.
- Attached to Blenker's Brigade, Division of the Potomac, to November, 1861.
- Bohlen's Brigade, Blenker's Division, Army Potomac, to March, 1862.
- Bohlen's 3rd Brigade, Blenker's Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army Potomac, to April, 1862
- 3rd Brigade, Blenker's Division, Dept. of the Mountains, to June, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 11th Army Corps, Army Potomac, to November, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 11th Corps, to July, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 11th Corps, to August, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, Gordon's Division, Folly Island, S.C., 10th Corps, Dept. of the South, to April, 1864.
- Folly Island, S.C., Northern District, Dept. of the South, to August, 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, DeRussy's Division, 22nd Corps, Dept. of Washington, to October, 1864. Reserve Division, Dept. of West Virginia, to January, 1865.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, West Virginia, to April, 1865.
- 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, West Virginia, to May, 1865. Sub-District of Clarksburg, W. Va., Dept. West Virginia, to August, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Duty in the Defences of Washington, D.C., till March, 1862.
- At Fairfax C. H, Va., March 10-24.
- Moved to Petersburg, W. Va., April 6-May 11.
- Operations in the Shenandoah Valley till June.
- Cross Keys June 8.
- At Sperryville July 7-August 8.
- Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 16-September 2, Freeman's Ford and Hazel Run August 22.
- Grovton August 29.
- Bull Run August 30.
- Duty in the Defences of Washington, D.C., till November.
- Moved to Centreville November 1-19,
- Thence to Fredericksburg, Va., December 9-16.
Service & Battles - 1863
- "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863.
- At Stafford Court House, Va., till April 27.
- Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
- Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5.
- Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 13-July 24.
- Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3.
- Pursuit of Lee July 5-24.
- Moved to Folly Island, S.C., August 7-14.
- Duty on Folly Island, S.C., operating against Charleston, S. C., till August, 1864.
- Demonstration on James Island, S. C., May 21-22, 1864, and June 30-July 10.
- James Island, near Secessionville, July 2.
- Ordered to Washington, D. C., August 17.
- Duty at Forts Ethan Allen and Marcy till October.
Service & Battles - 1864 - 1865
- Ordered to West Virginia, and duty guarding Baltimore & Ohio Railroad till April, 1865.
- At Beverly April 8-May 12, and at Clarksburg, W. Va., and guarding Parkersburg branch of Baltimore & Ohio Railroad till August.
- Mustered out August 29, 1865.
- Regiment lost during service 2 Officers and 54 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 88 Enlisted men by disease. Total 145.