PA Civil War > Regiments > 75th
75th Pennsylvania Regiment
Recruited almost exclusively of Germans in the city of Philadelphia, PA
75th PA Regiment Newspaper Transcription
- Indiana Democrat - July 17, 1862
Pennsylvania Colonels Killed in the War...
75th PA Regiment Companies
75th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Philadelphia August and September, 1861, as 40th Pennsylvania Volunteers.
- Left State for Washington, D.C., September 26, 1861.
- Attached to Casey's Provisional Division, Army Potomac, to November, 1861.
- Bohlen's 3rd Brigade, Blenker's Division, Army Potomac, to March, 1862.
- 3rd Brigade, Blenker's Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army Potomac, to April, 1862.
- 3rd Brigade, Blenker's Division, Dept. of the Mountain, to June, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 11th Army Corps, Army Potomac, to October, 1863.
- 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 11th Army Corps, Army Cumberland, to April, 1864.
- Unattached, 4th Division, 20th Army Corps, Dept. Cumberland, to March, 1865.
- 1st Brigade, 1st Sub-District, Middle Tennessee, to September, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Duty in the Defences of Washington, D. C., till March, 1862.
- Advance on Manassas, Va., March 10-15.
- Near Catlett's Station till April 6.
- Moved to Petersburg, W. Va., April 6-May 11.
- Operations in the Shenandoah Valley till June.
- Battle of Cross Keys June 8.
- At Sperryville July 7-August 8.
- Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 16-September 2.
- Freeman's Ford August 22.
- Sulphur Springs August 24.
- Battles of Gainesville August 28; Groveton August 29; Bull Run August 30.
- Duty in the Defences of Washington, D.C., till November.
- Moved to Centreville November 1-19,
- Thence to Fredericksburg December 9-16.
Service & Battles - 1863
- "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863.
- At Stafford Court House till April 27.
- Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
- Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5.
- Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 13-July 24,
- Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3.
- Guard duty along Orange & Alexandria Railroad till September.
- Movement to Bridgeport, Ala., September 24-October 3.
- Operations in Lookout Valley October 19-26.
- Reopening Tennessee River October 26-29.
- Battle of Wauhatchie, Tenn., October 28-29.
- Chattanooga-Ringgold Campaign November 23-27.
- Orchard Knob November 23. Tunnel Hill November 24-25.
- Mission Ridge November 25.
- March to relief of Knoxville November 28-December 17.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Duty in Pleasant Valley till January, 1864.
- Veterans on furlough till March.
- Moved to Bridgeport, Ala., March 8, and duty there till July.
- Moved to Nashville, Tenn., July 31,
- And guard trains on Nashville & Northwestern Railroad till December.
- Moved to Franklin December 20,
Service & Battles - 1865
- And duty there till September, 1865,
- guarding trains, scouting and provost duty.
- (Co. "C" was stationed on Tennessee & Alabama Railroad and captured.)
- Mustered out September 1, 1865.
- Regiment lost during service 6 Officers and 46 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 107 Enlisted men by disease. Total 161.