PA Civil War Volunteer Soldiers
Independent Battery D - Durell's BatteryRecruited in Bucks and Berks County
Independent Battery D Companies
Independent Battery D Books
Independent Battery D Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Doylestown and mustered in September 24, 1861.
- Left State for Washington, D.C., November 5, 1861.
- Attached to McDowell's Division, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862.
- King's 1st Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to April, 1862.
- King's Division, Dept. of the Rappahannock, to June, 1862.
- Artillery, 1st Division, 3rd Army Corps, Army of Virginia, to August, 1862.
- Artillery, 2nd Division, 9th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to April, 1863.
- Army of the Ohio to June, 1863, and Army of the Tennessee to August, 1863.
- Covington, Ky., Dept. of the Ohio, to March, 1864.
- Artillery, 4th Division, 9th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to June, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1861
- Duty at Kalorama Heights, Defences of Washington, D.C., till November 14, 1861.
- At East Capital Hill till December 18,
Service & Battles - 1862
- And at Munson's Hill till March 10, 1862.
- Advance on Manassas, Va., March 10-15.
- McDowell's advance to Falmouth April 9-19.
- Capture of Fredericksburg April 18.
- Expedition to Thoroughfare Gap and operations against Jackson May 29-June 21.
- At Falmouth till August.
- Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 16-September 2.
- Kelly's Ford August 21.
- Near Warrenton August 22-23 supporting Buford's Cavalry.
- Kettle Run or Bristoe Station August 27.
- Battle of Bull Run August 29-30.
- Chantilly September 1.
- Maryland Campaign September 6-24.
- Battles of South Mountain September 14,
- And Antietam September 16-17.
- At Pleasant Valley till October 25.
- Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 25-November 19.
- Warrenton or Sulphur Springs November 15.
- Berryville December 2.
- Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15.
Service & Battles - 1863
- "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863.
- Moved to Newport News February 7,
- Thence to Cynthiana, Ky., March 23-April 1.
- At Paris, Mt. Sterling, Richmond, Lancaster, Crab Orchard and Stanford, Ky., till June.
- Movement to Vicksburg, Miss., June 3-14.
- Siege of Vicksburg June 15-July 4.
- Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 5-10.
- Siege of Jackson July 10-17.
- At Milldale till August 6.
- Moved to Covington, Ky., August 6-22,
Service & Battles - 1864
- And duty there till March 21, 1864.
- Moved to Johnson's Island, Lake Erie, Ohio, November 12-16 to repel threatened raid to release prisoners.
- Moved to Annapolis, Md., March 21-26.
- Rapidan Campaign May-June.
- Guarding supply trains through the Wilderness and to James River May 4-June 16.
Service & Battles - 1864 - 1865
- Siege of Petersburg June 16-18 to April 2, 1865.
- Mine Explosion, Petersburg, July 30, 1864.
- Ream's Station, Weldon Railroad, August 25.
- Peeble's Farm, Poplar Grove Church, September 30-October 1.
- Old members mustered out September 23, 1864.
- Fort Stedman March 25, 1865.
- Assault on and fall of Petersburg April 2.
- Moved to City Point April 20;
- Thence to Alexandria April 25-27.
- Grand Review May 23.
- Mustered out June 13, 1865.
- Battery lost during service
1 Officer and 2 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 21 Enlisted men by disease.
| Ancestry.com Civil War Databases
| Civil War Research
Civil War Research
Want to find out if your ancestor was a Civil War soldier? Follow these research ideas.
Search PA Civil War