PA Civil War >
Biography > Crawford
Milton Crawford (born Sept. r, 1844), son of James and Catharine (Byers) Crawford, was reared on the old Crawford homestead and educated at the Fayetteville Academy.
While a student at the age of nineteen, he enlisted, Feb. 2, 1864, in Company D, 21st Pennsylvania Cavalry, 182nd Regiment, and served until the close of the war, being mustered out July 17, 1865. He participated in the battles of Five Forks, Sailor's Creek and Appomattox Court House, and served with General Sheridan's staff carrying dispatches.
After his return to civil life, he entered a business college at Pittsburgh, from which he was graduated in 1866, and then engaged in business at Reading, returning to the old homestead farm in 1872, which he farmed for eight years. In 1880, he removed to Fayetteville, where he now lives. He owns a fine farm near the old homestead in Guilford township. He served as a school director for many years, and was a county commissioner of Franklin county, 1897-1900. He has, been superintendent of the Chambersburg and Gettysburg Turnpike Company for twenty years, and for twice that long has been considered a leading citizen of Fayetteville. In politics he is a Republican. He is an active member of the Knights of Pythias and of Captain Stevens Post, No. 317, G. A. R. With his wife he is a member of the Lutheran Church, Fayetteville, in which he has been an officer since 1879.
He married Oct. 20, 1868, Rebecca Harmony, daughter of John Harmony, of Guilford township.
Source: Biographical Annals of Franklin County, Pennsylvania : containing genealogical records of representative families, including many of the early settlers, and biographical sketches of prominent citizens; Chicago. Genealogical Pub. Co.. 1905. Notes: Prepared in part by George O. Seilhamer.