PA Civil War > Regiments > 138th
138th Pennsylvania Regiment
Recruited in Montgomery county, Adams county, Bedford county, Bucks county, PA
138th PA Regiment Newspaper Article Transcriptions
- Gettysburg Compiler, November 17, 1862
The death of two soldiers...
138th PA Regiment Companies
138th PA Regiment Books
- "They will not be forgotten": A Narrative History of the 138th Pennsylvania.
Online article by Stephen Light
138th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Harrisburg August 16, 1862.
- Moved to Baltimore, Md., August 30, thence to Relay House.
- Attached to Relay House, Defences of Baltimore, 8th Corps, Middle Dept., to February, 1863.
- 3rd Separate Brigade, 8th Corps, to June, 1863. Elliott's Command, 8th Corps, to July, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 3rd Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division. 6th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, and Army of the Shenandoah, to June, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Duty at Relay House, Md., till June, 1863.
- Moved to Harper's Ferry, W. Va., June 16.
- Escort stores to Washington July 1-5.
- Join Division at Frederick, Md., July 7.
- Pursuit of Lee July 7-24.
- Wapping Heights July 23.
- Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
- Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8.
- Kelly's Ford November 7.
- Brandy Station November 8.
- Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2.
- Payne's Farm November 27.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Demonstration on the Rapidan February 6-7, 1864.
- Duty at and near Brandy Station till May.
- Rapidan Campaign May 4-June 12.
- Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7;
- Spottsylvania May 8-12;
- Spottsylvania Court House May 12-21.
- Assault on the Salient May 12.
- North Anna River May 23-26.
- On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28.
- Totopotomoy May 28-31.
- Cold Harbor June 1-12.
- Before Petersburg June 17-18.
- Jerusalem Plank Road, Weldon Railroad, June 22-23.
- Siege of Petersburg till July 6.
- Moved to Baltimore, Md., July 6-8.
- Battle of Monocacy July 9.
- Pursuit of Early to Snicker's Gap July 14-24.
- Sheridan's Shenandoah Valley Campaign August to December.
- Charlestown August 21-22.
- Battle of Opequan, Winchester, September 19.
- Fisher's Hill, September 22.
- Battle of Cedar Creek October 19.
- Duty at Kernstown till December.
- Moved to Washington, D.C.,
- Thence to Petersburg, Va., December.
Service & Battles - 1865
- Siege of Petersburg December, 1864, to April, 1865.
- Fort Fisher, Petersburg, March 25, 1865.
- Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9.
- Assault on and fall of Petersburg April 2.
- Sailor's Creek April 6.
- Appomattox Court House April 9.
- Surrender of Lee and his army.
- March to Danville April 23-27, and duty there till May 23.
- March to Richmond, Va.,
- Thence to Washington, D. C., May 23-June 3,
- Corps review June 8.
- Mustered out June 23, 1865.
- Regiment lost during service 6 Officers and 90 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 70 Enlisted men by disease. Total 167.
138th PA Regiment Medal of Honor Recipients
- CONNELL, TRUSTRIM Corporal, Company I, 138th Pennsylvania Infantry. Entered service at Fort Kennedy, Pa. Birth: Lancaster, Pa. Citation: Capture of battle flag at Sailor's Creek, Va, 6 April 1865. Date of issue: 10 May 1865.