PA Civil War > Regiments > 171st
171st Pennsylvania Regiment
Recruited in Snyder County, Northumberland County, Clearfield County, Elk County, McKean County, Union County, Montour County, and Butler County, PA
171st PA Regiment Companies
171st PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Harrisburg October and November, 1862.
- Moved to Washington, D.C., November 27; thence to Suffolk, Va.
- Attached to Spinola's Brigade, Division at Suffolk, Va.,
- 7th Corps, Dept. of Virginia, to January, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 5th Division, 18th Corps, Dept. of North Carolina, to May, 1863.
- District of the Pamlico, Dept. of North Carolina, to June, 1863.
- Spinola's Brigade, 7th Corps, Dept. of Virginia, to July, 1863.
- Harper's Ferry, W. Va., July, 1863.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Duty at Suffolk, Va, till December 28.
Service & Battles - 1863
- Moved to New Berne, N. C, December 28-January 1, 1863,
- and duty there till April, 1863.
- Expedition from New Berne to Trenton, Pollocksville,
- Young's Cross Roads and Swansborough March 6-10.
- Expedition to relief of Little Washington April 7-10.
- Blount's Creek April 9.
- Expedition to Swift Creek Village April 13-21.
- Duty at Little Washington till June.
- Ordered to Fortress Monroe, Va.
- Dix's Peninsula Campaign July 1-7.
- Moved to Washington, D. C, thence to Harper's Ferry, W. Va., July 7-9;
- thence to Boonsboro, Md., and reported to General Meade July 11.
- Pursuit of Lee July 11-24.
- Ordered to Harrisburg, Pa., August 3.
- Mustered out August 8, 1863.
- Regiment lost 38 by disease during service.