PA Civil War Volunteer Soldiers
172nd Pennsylvania RegimentRecruited in Snyder County, Northumberland County, Clearfield County, Elk County, McKean County, Union County, Montour County, and Butler County, PA
172nd PA Regiment Companies
172nd PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Harrisburg October 27 to November 29, 1862.
- Moved to Washington, D.C., December 2; Thence to Newport News. Va., December 4, and to Yorktown, Va., December 12.
- Unassigned, Yorktown, Va., 4th. Corps, Dept. of Virginia, to April, 1863.
- West's Advance Brigade, 4th Corps, Dept. of Virginia, to June, 1863.
- 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 4th Corps, to July, 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 11th Corps, Army of the Potomac, to August, 1863.
Service & Battles - 1863
- Garrison duty at Yorktown, Va., till June, 1863.
- Dix's Peninsula Campaign June 27-July 7.
- Ordered to Washington, D.C., July 9.
- Join Army of the Potomac at Hagerstown, Md., July 14.
- Pursuit of Lee to Williamsport, Md.
- March to Warrenton Junction, Va., July 19-25, 1863.
- Ordered to Harrisburg, Pa., and mustered out August 1, 1863
- Regiment lost during service 13 by disease.
| Ancestry.com Civil War Databases
| Civil War Research
Civil War Research
Want to find out if your ancestor was a Civil War soldier? Follow these research ideas.
Search PA Civil War