PA Civil War > Regiments > 211th
211th Pennsylvania Regiment
Recruited in Crawford County, Jefferson County, McKean county, Jefferson County, Mercer County , Westmoreland County, Erie County, PA
211th PA Regiment Soldier Biographies
23rd PA Regiment Companies
211th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Pittsburg September 16, 1864.
- Moved to Bermuda Hundred, Va., September and attached to Provisional Brigade,
- Defences of Bermuda Hundred, Army James, to November, 1864.
- Provisional Brigade, 9th Army Corps, Army Potomac, to December, 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 9th Army Corps, to June, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1864 - 1865
- Siege operations against Petersburg and Richmond, Va., September, 1864, to April, 1865.
- Duty in the Defences of Bermuda Hundred, Va., till November, 1864.
- Joined Army of the Potomac before Petersburg November 28.
- Movement in support of Weldon Railroad Expedition December 7-11.
- Dabney's Mills, Hatcher's Run, February 5-7, 1865.
- Fort Stedman March 25. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9.
- Assault on and fall of Petersburg April 2.
- Pursuit of Lee April 3-9.
- At Nottaway Court House till April 20.
- Moved to City Point, thence to Alexandria April 20-28, and duty there till June.
- Grand Review May 23.
- Mustered out June 2, 1865.
- Regiment lost during service 6 Officers and 38 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 53 Enlisted men by disease Total 97.
211th PA Regiment Medal of Honor Recipients
- EWING, JOHN C.: Private, Company E, 211th Pennsylvania Infantry. Petersburg, Va., 2 April 1865. Citation: 20 May 1865. Capture of flag. Born March 4, 1843, died May 23, 1918, buried Ligonier Valley Cemetery, Ligonier, Westmoreland County, PA.
- HARMON, AMZI D.: Corporal, Company K, 211th Pennsylvania Infantry. Petersburg, Va., 2 April 1865. Citation: 20 May 1865. Capture of flag.