PA Civil War > Regiments > 27th
27th Pennsylvania Regiment
Three Years' Service - Recruited in the city of Philadelphia, PA
27th PA Regiment Soldier Biographies
27th PA Regiment Books
- Philadelphia in the Civil War
27th Regiment Online at Ancestry.com.
27th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Philadelphia January, 1861.
- Moved to Baltimore, Md., April 18.
- Attacked in streets of Baltimore April 19.
- Returned to Philadelphia and reorganized for three years.
- Mustered in May 31 to date from May 5. 1861.
- Moved to Washington, D.C., June 17-18.
- Attached to 1st Brigade, Miles' Division, McDowell's Army of Northeast Virginia, to August, 1861.
- Blenker's Brigade, Division of the Potomac, to October, 1861.
- Stahel's Brigade, Blenker's Division, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, Blenker's 2nd Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, March, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, Blenker's Division, Dept. of the Mountains, to June, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 1st Division. 1st Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 11th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to October, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 11th Corps, Army of the Potomac, to October, 1863, and Army of the Cumberland to April, 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 20th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to May, 1864.
Service & Battles - 1861
- Advance on Manassas, Va., July 16-21, 1861.
- Battle of Bull Run July 21.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Duty in the Defences of Washington, D.C., till April, 1862.
- Operations in the Shenandoah Valley May to August.
- Battle of Cross Keys June 8.
- At Sperryville and Centreville till August.
- Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 16-September 2.
- Battles of Groveton August 29: Bull Run August 30.
- Duty in the Defences of Washington, D.C., till December.
- Reconnoissance to Snicker's Ferry and Berryville November 28-30.
- March to Fredericksburg, Va., December 10-15.
Service & Battles - 1863
- Duty at Falmouth and Brooks' Station till April, 1863.
- Operations at Welford's, Kelly's and Beverly Fords April 14-15.
- Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
- Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5.
- Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 11-July 24.
- Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3.
- Pursuit of Lee July 5-24.
- Duty on line of the Rapidan, near Bristoe Station, till September.
- Movement to Bridgeport, Ala., September 24-October 3.
- March along Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad to Lookout Valley, Tenn., October 25-28.
- Reopening Tennessee River October 26-29.
- Battle of Wauhatchie October 28-29.
- Battles of Chattanooga November 23-27;
- Orchard Knob November 23;
- Tunnel Hill November 23-24; Mission Ridge November 25.
- March to relief of Knoxville November 27-December 17.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Duty in Lookout Valley till May, 1864.
- Atlanta Campaign May 1-25.
- Demonstration on Rocky Faced Ridge May 8-11.
- Dug Gap, or Mill Creek, May 8.
- Battle of Resaca May 14-15.
- Near Cassville May 19.
- Advance on Dallas May 22-25.
- Left front May 25.
- Mustered out June 11, 1864.
- Veterans and Recruits transferred to 109th PA Regiment.
- Regiment lost during service 5 Officers and 67 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 62 Enlisted men by disease. Total 134.