PA Civil War > Regiments > 39th
39th Pennsylvania Regiment - 10th Pennsylvania Reserve Corps
Three Years' Service - Recruited in Somerset County, Mercer County, Venango County, Washington County, Clarion County, Beaver County, Warren County, Crawford County, Beaver County, PA
39th PA Regiment Soldier Biographies
39th PA Regiment Companies
39th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Camp Wilkins, near Pittsburg, June and July, 1861.
- Ordered to Harrisburg, Pa., July 18, and mustered in July 21, 1861.
- Moved to Baltimore, Md., July 22; Thence to Washington, D.C., July 24.
- Attached to 3rd Brigade, McCall's Pennsylvania Reserves Division, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1862.
- 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to April, 1862.
- 3rd Brigade, McCall's Division, Dept. of the Rappahannock, to June, 1862.
- 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to August, 1862.
- 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 3rd Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862.
- 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to February, 1863.
- 3rd Brigade, Pennsylvania Reserves Division, 22nd Corps, Dept. of Washington, to June, 1863.
- 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to June, 1864
Service & Battles - 1862
- At Tennallytown, Md., August 1 to October 10, 1861, and at Camp Pierpont, near Langley, Va., till March, 1862.
- Expedition to Gunnell's Mills December 6, 1861.
- Action at Dranesville December 20.
- Advance on Manassas, Va., March 10-15, 1862.
- McDowell's advance on Falmouth April 9-19.
- Duty at Fredericksburg till June.
- Moved to White House June 9-12.
- Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1.
- Battles of Mechanicsville June 26; Gaines Mill June 27;
- Charles City Cross Roads and Glendale June 30;
- Malvern Hill July 1.
- At Harrison's Landing till August 16.
- Movement to join Pope August 16-26.
- Battles of Gainesville August 28;
- Groveton August 29;
- Bull Run August 30.
- Maryland Campaign September 6-24.
- Battles of South Mountain, Md., September 14;
- Antietam September 16-17.
- Duty in Maryland till October 30.
- Movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 19.
- Battle of Fredericksburg December 12-15.
Service & Battles - 1863
- "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863.
- Ordered to Washington, D.C., February 6, duty there
- And at Alexandria till June 25.
- Ordered to Join Army of the Potomac in the field.
- Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1-3.
- Pursuit of Lee July 5-24.
- Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
- Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8.
- Rappahannock Station November 7.
- Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Bristoe Station April 15, 1864 (Detachment).
- Rapidan Campaign May 4-31.
- Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7;
- Laurel Hill May 8;
- Spottsylvania May 8-12;
- Spottsylvania Court House May 12-21.
- Assault on the Salient May 12.
- Harris Farm May 19.
- North Anna River May 23-26.
- Jericho Ford May 25.
- On line of the Totopotomoy May 28-31.
- Left front May 31.
- Mustered out June 11, 1864.
- Regiment lost during service 7 Officers and 153 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 47 Enlisted men by disease. Total 207.