PA Civil War Volunteer Soldiers
47th Pennsylvania RegimentThree Years' Service - Recruited in Northampton County, Lehigh County, Northumberland County, Perry County, Northampton County, Perry County, PA
47th PA Regiment Biographies
47th PA Regiment Companies
47th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Harrisburg August and September, 1861.
- Moved to Washington, D.C., September 20-21.
- Attached to 3rd Brigade, W. F. Smith's Division, Army Potomac, to January, 1862.
- District of Key West, Fla., to June, 1862.
- District of Beaufort, S.C., Dept. South, to November, 1862.
- District of Key West, Fla., 10th Corps, Dept. of the South, November, 1862, and Dept. of the Gulf to February, 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 19th Army Corps, Dept. of the Gulf, to July, 1864,
- And Army of the Shenandoah, Middle Military Division, to February, 1865.
- 2nd Brigade, Provisional Division, Army Shenandoah, to April, 1865.
- 2nd Brigade, Dwight's Division, 22nd Corps, Dept. of Washington, to May, 1865.
- 3rd Brigade, Dwight's Division, District of Savannah, Ga., Dept. South, to July, 1865.
- 1st Sub-District, South Carolina, Dept. South Carolina, to December, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Duty in the Defences of Washington, D.C., till January, 1862.
- Moved to Key West, Fla., via Annapolis, Md.,
- And on Steamer "Orienta!" January 22-February 4.
- Duty at Fort Taylor, Key West, Fla., till June 18.
- Moved to Hilton Head, S. C, June 18-22,
- Thence to Beaufort, S.C., July 2,
- And duty there till October.
- Expedition to Florida September 30-October 13.
- St. John's Bluff October 3.
- Capture of Jacksonville October 5 (Cos. "E" and "K").
- Expedition from Jacksonville to Lake Beresford and capture of Steamer "Gov. Milton" near Hawkinsville October 6 (Cos. "E" and "K").
- Expedition to Pocotaligo, S.C., October 21-23.
- Frampton's Plantation and Pocotaligo Bridge October 22.
- Ordered to Key West, Fla., November 15.
Service & Battles - 1863 - 1964
- Garrison Fort Taylor (Cos. "A," "B," "C," "E," "G" and "I") and Fort Jefferson (Cos. "D," "F," "H" and "K") till February, 1864.
- Moved to New Orleans, La., February 25.
- (Regiment reenlisted October, 1863, to February, 1864.)
- At Algiers, La., February 28.
- Banks' Red River Campaign March 10-May 22.
- Advance from Franklin to Alexandria March 14-26.
- Battle of Sabine Cross Roads April 8.
- Pleasant Hill April 9.
- Monett's Ferry, Cane River Crossing, April 23.
- Fatigue duty at Alexandria constructing dam across Red River April 30-May 10.
- Retreat to Morganza May 13-20.
- Mansura May 16.
- At Morganza till June 20.
- At New Orleans till July 5.
- Moved to Washington, D.C., July 5-12.
- Sheridan's Shenandoah Valley Campaign August to November.
- Battle of Opequan, Winchester, September 19.
- Fisher's Hill September 22.
- Battle of Cedar Creek October 19.
- At Camp Russell, near Winchester, till December 20,
Service & Battles - 1865
- And at Camp Fairview, Charlestown,
- And on outpost duty in West Virginia till April, 1865.
- Moved to Washington. D.C., April 19-21.
- Grand Review May 23-24.
- Moved to Savannah, Ga., May 31-June 4,
- And to Charleston, S.C., June 17.
- Duty at Charleston and other points in South Carolina till December.
- Mustered out December 25, 1865.
- Regiment lost during service 5 Officers and 112 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 3 Officers and 170 Enlisted men by disease. Total 290.
47th PA Regiment Burials
- Batt, Peter; Sgt., born 2/19/1842, died 7/16/1910, buried Ardsley Burial Park, Montgomery County, PA
Lightman, Sterrett; Pvt., died 8/19/1864, buried Mt. Moriah, Philadelphia, PA
| Ancestry.com Civil War Databases
| Civil War Research
Civil War Research
Want to find out if your ancestor was a Civil War soldier? Follow these research ideas.
Search PA Civil War