PA Civil War > Regiments > 52nd
52nd Pennsylvania Regiment
Recruited in Luzerne county, Wyoming County, Clinton County, Union County, Bradford County, Columbia County, Schuylkill County, PA
52nd PA Regiment Soldier Biographies
52nd PA Regiment Companies
Schuylkill County / Luzerne County
- Regimental History
- Bates' Regimental History & Company Rosters
52nd PA Regiment Books
History of the Fifty-Second Regiment
Written at Morris Island, S.C., Sept. 1, 1864 by Noah Adams, Co. G, 52nd Reg't, P. V. (online transcription)
52nd PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Harrisburg November 5, 1861.
- Left State for Washington, D.C., November 8.
- Attached to 1st Brigade, Casey's Division, Army Potomac, to March, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 4th Army Corps, Army Potomac, to June, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 4th Army Corps, to December, 1862.
- Naglee's Brigade, Dept. of North Carolina, to January, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 18th Army Corps, Dept. North Carolina, to February, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 18th Army Corps, Dept. of the South, to April, 1863.
- District of Beaufort, S. C., 10th Corps, Dept. of the South, to July, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, Morris Island, S.C., 10th Corps, July, 1863.
- Davis' Brigade, Folly Island, S.C., 10th Corps, to August, 1863.
- 5th Brigade, Morris Island, S.C., 10th Corps, to November, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, Morris Island, S.C., 10th Corps, to April, 1864.
- District of Hilton Head, S.C., Dept. South, to June, 1864.
- Morris Island, S.C., Northern District, Dept. of the South, to October, 1864.
- 1st Separate Brigade, Morris Island, S.C., Dept. South, to March, 1865.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division. 23rd Army Corps, Dept. North Carolina, to July, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Duty in the Defences of Washington, D.C., till March, 1862.
- Advance on Manassas, Va.. March 10-15.
- Moved to the Virginia Peninsula March 28.
- Siege of Yorktown April 5-May 4.
- Battle of Williamsburg May 5.
- Bottom's Bridge May 19-20.
- Operations about Bottom's Bridge May 20-23.
- Reconnoissance to Seven Pines May 24-27.
- Skirmishes at Seven Pines, Savage Station and Chickahominy May 24.
- Battle of Fair Oaks (Seven Pines) May 31-June 1.
- At Bottom's Bridge June 13-26.
- Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1.
- Bottom's Bridge June 28-29.
- White Oak Swamp Bridge June 30.
- Malvern Hill July 1.
- At Harrison's Landing till August 15.
- Moved to Yorktown August 16-20, and duty there till December 31.
- Expedition to Gloucester, Matthews, King and Queen and Middlesex Counties December 11-15.
- Ordered to Beaufort, N. C., December 31.
Service & Battles - 1863
- At Carolina City till January 28.
- Moved to Port Royal, S.C., January 28-31.
- At St. Helena Island, S.C., February 10-April 4.
- Operations against Charleston April 4-15.
- Duty at Beaufort, S. C., till July 6.
- Moved to Folly Island July 6.
- Expedition to James Island, S.C., July 9-16.
- Secessionville July 16.
- Operations on Morris and Folly Islands, S.C., against Forts Wagner and Gregg,
- Morris Island, and Fort Sumpter and Charleston July 18-September 7.
- Capture of Forts Wagner and Gregg September 7.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Operations against Charleston till April, 1864.
- Regiment reenlisted December 31, 1863.
- Duty at Hilton Head, S.C., till June, 1864.
- Reconnoissance to Dafuskie Island May 11.
- Moved to Morris Island, S.C., and operations against Charleston till February, 1865.
- Assault on Fort Johnson and Battery Simpkins, James Island, July 3, 1864.
- Occupation of Charleston February 18.
- Duty in Charleston Harbor till April 18.
- Ordered to North Carolina and duty at Salisbury till July.
- Mustered out July 12, 1865.
- Regiment lost during service 1 Officer and 43 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 173 Enlisted men by disease. Total 219.