PA Civil War > PA Civil War > Regiments > 26th
26th Pennsylvania Regiment
Three Years' Service - Recruited from the city of Philadelphia, and Delaware county, PA
26th PA Regiment Books
- Philadelphia in the Civil War
26th Regiment Online at Ancestry.com.
26th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Philadelphia April 20, 1861.
- Mustered in May 27, 1861 (a detachment attacked in streets of Baltimore April 19, 1861).
- Moved to Washington, D.C., June 15, 1861.
- Attached to Defences of Washington to August. 1861.
- Hooker's Brigade, Division of the Potomac, to October, 1861.
- Grover's Brigade, Hooker's Division, Army of the Potomac; to March, 1862.
- 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 3rd Army Corps, Army of the Potomac; to March, 1864.
- 1st Brigade, 4th Division, 2nd Army Corps, to June, 1864.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Duty in the Defences of Washington, D. C., till October, 1861, and at Budd's Ferry, Md., October 20, 1861, to April 1, 1862.
- Moved to the Virginia Peninsula, Siege of Yorktown, April 5-May 4.
- Battle of Williamsburg May 5.
- Battle of Fair Oaks, Seven Pines, May 31-June 1.
- Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1.
- Oak Grove June 25.
- Savage Station June 29.
- White Oak Swamp and Glendale June 30.
- Malvern Hill July 1.
- Duty at Harrison's Landing till August 16.
- Action at Malvern Hill August 5.
- Movement to Centreville August 16-26.
- Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 26-September 2.
- Bristoe Station, Kettle Run, August 27.
- Battles of Groveton August 29; Bull Run August 30;
- Chantilly September 1.
- Duty in the Defences of Washington, D.C., till November.
- Operations on Orange & Alexandria Railroad October 10-12.
- Movement to Falmouth, Va., November 18-28.
- Battle of Fredericksburg. Va., December 12-15.
Service & Battles - 1863
- "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863.
- Operations at Rappahannock Bridge and Grove Church February 5-7.
- At Falmouth till April.
- Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
- Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5.
- Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 11-July 24.
- Battle of Gettysburg (Pa.) July 1-3.
- Wapping Heights, Va., July 23.
- Duty on line of the Rapidan till October.
- Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
- Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8.
- Kelly's Ford November 7.
- Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2.
- Payne's Farm November 27.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Demonstration on the Rapidan February 6-7, 1864.
- Near Brandy Station till May.
- Rapidan Campaign May 4-28.
- Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7;
- Spottsylvania May 8-12;
- Spottsylvania Court House May 12-21.
- Assault on the Salient May 12.
- Harris Farm, on Fredericksburg Road, May 19.
- North Anna River May 23-26.
- Ox Ford May 24.
- Line of the Pamunkey May 26-28.
- Left front May 28.
- Mustered out June 18, 1864.
- Veterans and Recruits transferred to 99th PA Regiment.
- Regiment lost during service 6 Officers and 143 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 71 Enlisted men by disease. Total 222.
26th PA Regiment Medal of Honor Recipient
- ROOSEVELT, GEORGE W.: Chester, First Sergeant, Company K. 26th Pennsylvania Infantry. Bull Run, Va., 30 August 1862. Gettysburg, Pa. 2 July, 1863. Citation given: 2 July 1887. At Bull Run, Va., recaptured the colors, which had been seized by the enemy. At Gettysburg captured a Confederate color bearer and color, in which effort he was severely wounded.