PA Civil War > Regiments > 77th
77th Pennsylvania Regiment
Recruited in Franklin county, Allegheny county, Huntingdon County, Mercer County, Fulton County, Blair County, Luzerne and Franklin County, Beaver County, Dauphin county, Lancaster county, PA
77th PA Regiment Soldier Biographies
77th PA Regiment Companies
77th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Pittsburg October 15, 1861. Left State for Louisville, Ky., October 18.
- Attached to Negley's 4th Brigade, McCook's Command, at Nolin, Army Ohio, to November, 1861.
- 5th Brigade, Army Ohio, to December, 1861.
- 5th Brigade, 2nd Division, Army Ohio, to September, 1862.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, Right Wing Army Cumberland, to January, 1863.
- 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 20th Army Corps, Army Cumberland, to October, 1863.
- 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 4th Army Corps, Army Cumberland, to June, 1865.
- 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 4th Corps, to August, 1865.
- Dept. of Texas to December, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1862
- Camp at Nolin River till December, 1861, and at Munfordsville, Ky., till February, 1862.
- March to Bowling Green, Ky., thence to Nashville, Tenn., February 14-March 3,
- And to Savannah, Tenn., March 16-April 6.
- Battle of Shiloh, Tenn., April 6-7.
- Duty at Pittsburg Landing till May 28.
- Siege of Corinth, Miss., May 28-30.
- Skirmish near Corinth May 9.
- Pursuit to Booneville May 31-June 1.
- Buell's Campaign in Northern Alabama and Middle Tennessee June to August.
- March to Louisville, Ky., in pursuit of Bragg August 21-September 26.
- Pursuit of Bragg into Kentucky October 1-22.
- Floyd's Fork October 1.
- Near Clay Village October 4.
- Dog Walk October 9.
- March to Nashville, Tenn., October 22-November 7.
- Reconnoissance toward Lavergne November 19 and November 26-27.
- Lavergne, Scrougesville November 27.
- Advance on Murfreesboro December 26-30.
- Triune, Tenn., December 27.
Service & Battles - 1863
- Battle of Stone's River December 30-31 and January 1-3, 1863.
- Duty near Murfreesboro till June.
- Middle Tennessee or Tullahoma Campaign June 23-July 7.
- Liberty Gap June 24-27.
- Occupation of Middle Tennessee till August 16.
- Passage of Cumberland Mountains and Tennessee River and Chickamauga (Ga.) Campaign
- August 16-September 22.
- Battle of Chickamauga September 19-20.
- Siege of Chattanooga September 24-October 27.
- Reopening Tennessee River October 26-29.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Duty at White sides, Tyner's Station and Blue Springs, Tenn., till April, 1864.
- Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1-September 8.
- Tunnel Hill May 6-7.
- Demonstration on Rocky Faced Ridge and Dalton May 8-13.
- Near Dalton May 13.
- Battle of Resaca May 14-15.
- Near Kingston May 18-19.
- Near Cassville May 19.
- Kingston May 21.
- Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5.
- Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2.
- Pine Hill June 11-14. Lost Mountain June 15-17.
- Assault on Kenesaw June 27.
- Ruff's Station, Smyrna Camp Ground, July 4.
- Chattahoochie River July 6-17.
- Peach Tree Creek July 19-20.
- Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25.
- Utoy Creek August 5-7.
- Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30.
- Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1.
- Lovejoy Station September 2-6.
- Operations in North Georgia and North Alabama against Hood September 29-October 26.
- Nashville Campaign November-December.
- Columbia, Duck River, November 24-28.
- Battle of Franklin November 30.
- Battle of Nashville December 15-16.
- Pursuit of Hood to the Tennessee River December 17-28.
Service & Battles - 1865
- At Huntsville, Ala., till March, 1865.
- Expedition to Bull's Gap and operations in East Tennessee March 13-April 25.
- Moved to Nashville, Tenn., April 25, and duty there till June.
- Moved to New Orleans, La., June 17-25, thence to Indianola, Texas, July 13-21.
- Duty at Indianola and Victoria, Texas, till December.
- Mustered out December 6, 1865.
- Regiment lost during service 5 Officers and 60 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 254 Enlisted men by disease Total 319