PA Civil War > Regiments > 148th
148th Pennsylvania Regiment - Centre County Regiment
Recruited in Centre county, Jefferson county, Indiana county, and Clarion county, PA.
148th PA Regiment Soldier Biographies
148th PA Regiment Books
- History of the 148th Pennsylvania Volunteers
Story of Our Regiment: History of the 148th Pennsylvania Volunteers, Written By the Comrades, 1904. Online at Google Books.
148th PA Regiment Companies
- Battle Flag
- Company A
Brush Valley, Indiana County
- Company B
Milesburg, Centre County
- Company C
- Company D
Aaronsburg and Pine Grove, Centre County
- Company E
Jefferson, Indiana, Armstrong Counties
- Company F
- Company G
- Company H
- Company I
- Company K
Clarion and Montgomery Counties
- Drafted Men
Drafted Men and Substitutes
- Regimental History
148th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles
- Organized at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, September 8, 1862.
- Moved to Cockeysville, Md., September 9-10, 1862, and guard duty on Northern Central Railroad until December 9, 1862.
- Unattached, Defenses of Baltimore, 8th Corps, Middle Department.
- Moved to Falmouth, Va., December 9-18, 1862.
- Attached to 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to September, 1863.
- 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 2nd Army Corps, to March, 1864.
- 4th Brigade, 1st Division, 2nd Army Corps, to June, 1865.
Service & Battles - 1863
- Duty at Falmouth, Va., until April 27, 1863.
- Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
- Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5.
- Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 14-July 24.
- Skirmish at Haymarket June 25.
- Battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 1-3.
- Pursuit of Lee July 5-24.
- Wapping Heights, Va., July 23.
- Expedition to Port Conway August 31-September 4.
- Richardson's Ford September 1.
- Duty on Orange & Alexandria Railroad and the Rappahannock until October.
- Advance from the Rappahannock to the Rapidan September 13-17.
- Bristoe Campaign October 9-22.
- South side of the Rappahannock October 12.
- Auburn and Bristoe October 14.
- Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8.
- Kelly's Ford November 7.
- Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2.
Service & Battles - 1864
- Demonstration on the Rapidan February 6-7, 1864.
- Morton's Ford February 6-7.
- Duty near Stevensburg until May.
- Rapidan Campaign May 4-June 12.
- Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7;
- Spottsylvania May 8-12;
- Po River May 9-10; Spottsylvania Court House May 12-21.
- Assault on the Salient May 12.
- Milford Station May 20.
- Reconnaissance by Regiment across North Anna River May 22.
- North Anna River May 23-26.
- On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28.
- Totopotomoy May 28-31.
- Cold Harbor June 1-12.
- Before Petersburg June 16-18.
- Siege of Petersburg June 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865.
- Jerusalem Plank Road June 21-23, 1864.
- Demonstration on north side of the James at Deep Bottom July 27-29.
- Deep Bottom July 27-28.
- Mine Explosion, Petersburg. July 30 (Reserve).
- Demonstration north of the James at Deep Bottom August 13-20.
- Strawberry Plains, Deep Bottom, August 14-18.
- Ream's Station, Weldon Railroad, August 25.
- Assault on Davidson's Confederate Battery October 27.
- Front of Forts Morton and Sedgwick October 29.
- Reconnaissance to Hatcher's Run December 9-10.
Service & Battles - 1865
- Dabney's Mills, Hatcher's Run, February 5-7, 1865.
- Watkins' House March 25.
- Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9.
- Gravelly Run March 29.
- Boydton Road or Hatcher's Run March 30-31.
- Crow's House, White Oak Road, March 31.
- Sutherland Station April 2.
- Sailor's Creek April 6.
- High Bridge, Farmville, April 7.
- Appomattox Court House April 9.
- Surrender of Lee and his army.
- March to Washington, D. C., May 2-12.
- Grand Review May 23.
- Mustered out near Alexandria June 1, 1865.
- Regiment lost during service 12 Officers and 198 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 4 Officers and 183 Enlisted men by disease. Total 397.
148th PA Regiment Medal of Honor Recipients
- AMMERMAN, ROBERT W. Private, Company B, 148th Pennsylvania Infantry. Entered service at Centre County, Pa. Birth: Centre County, Pa. Citation: Capture of battle flag of 8th North Carolina (C.S.A.), being one of the foremost in the assault at Spotsylvania, Va., 12 May 1864. Date of issue: 31 January 1865.
- BROWN, JEREMIAH Z. Captain, Company K, 148th Pennsylvania Infantry. Entered service at: Rimmersburg, Pa. Birth: Clarion County, Pa. Citation: With 100 selected volunteers, assaulted and captured the works of the enemy, together with a number of officers and men at Petersburg, Va., 27 October 1864. Date of issue: 22 June 1896.
- HARRIS, GEORGE W. Private, Company B, 148th Pennsylvania Infantry. Entered service at: Bellefonte, Pa. Birth: Schuylkill, Pa. Citation: Capture of flag, wresting it from the color bearer and shooting an officer who attempted to regain it at Spotsylvania, Va., 12 May 1864. Date of issue: 1 December 1864.
- PHILLIPS, JOSIAH Private, Company E, 148th Pennsylvania Infantry. Entered service at: Ulysses, Pa. Birth: Wyoming County, N.Y. Citation: Capture of flag at Sutherland Station, Va., 2 April 1865. Date of issue: 10 May 1865.